January 27, 2020
A five-member citizen executive committee is recommending a massive renovation to the Amarillo Civic Center, on Buchanan Street, in Amarillo, TX. The committee recently presented its recommendations, estimated at a $310 million cost, to the city council.
The list of upgrades include:
- Construction of a 75,600-square-foot expanded, continuous exhibit space
- Creation of a new convention center entry and pre-function space
- Repurposing remaining exhibit hall space into configurable meeting space
- Creation of a true, back-of-house with loading and services areas for facility support
- Development of an expanded outdoor central plaza for pre-event activities
The project would be financed mainly by voter-approved debt. The recommendations will be up for a vote on Feb. 11, 2020 and, if approved, will go up for election on May 2, 2020.
Pictured: Amarillo Civic Center
For comments, questions or concerns, please contact Amy Sorter