May 27, 2016
This week, more than 36,000 retail leaders descended on Las Vegas for ICSC 2016. We assume close to that many returned home.
Beyond the thousands of steps taken, multitude of cheesy tchotchkes picked up, glitzy late night parties attended and way too many early morning meetings scheduled, the serious side of RECon is that deals get done. After all, that’s why everyone comes.
Face-to-face meetings yield the kind of results that makes e-commerce drool. So yes, there’s plenty of sore feet, tired eyes, dead phone batteries and sensory overload as people head for the airport, but the connections made can last a lifetime.
Here’s the 23 most interesting bits of news, buzz or high-jinks Connect Media’s Dennis Kaiser picked up from this year’s conference. What are your top takeaways?
- Elizabeth Holland elected ICSC chairman for 2016-2017. The former senior staff attorney on the National Bankruptcy Review Commission has familiarity with Washington, finance and law, and her experience running a shopping center development company sets her up for success.
- William S. Taubman, COO Taubman Centers says “It behooves the owner of the mall to make the mobile shopping experience as seamless as possible.”
- Wall Street analysts say the retail revolution is accelerating. The industry can expect an even faster evolution in the years to come.
- There’s still plenty of capital chasing shopping centers.
- JLL Retail highlighted what’s fueling global retail expansion.
- CBRE highlights top global cities for retail stores, and goes on CNBC to talk about report findings.
- Shopping centers tap tech tools to streamline operations ranging from energy-efficiency, “wayfaring,” tenant sales-data reporting and efficient package delivery.
- Simon reports redevelopment and expansion projects underway at 33 U.S. and European properties valued at roughly $2 billion.
- Rouse Properties has a new CEO under Brookfield.
- Virtual Reality shopping hits ICSC Trade Show floor. JLL Retail research guru James Cook samples wares.
- Marcus & Millichap reports positive economic trends and limited construction support retail investment performance.
- Former NBA player Magic Johnson urged retail leaders to invest in urban areas at opening session.
- Douglas Elliman’s Faith Hope Consolo remains optimistic about retail, saying that owners and developers remain eager to close deals.
- 5 CRE 2 retail Q’s. 3 minutes to breakdown ICSC 2016 by Avison Young, JLL Retail, Colliers, Lee & Associates, Matthews Real Estate Investment Services
- CBRE revealed the Science Behind Placemaking.
- Cushman & Wakefiled profiles U.S.’s Cool Streets.
- JLL Retail explains how luxury retailers are broadening their horizons to reach U.S. consumers.
- Periscope was the preferred way to watch live broadcasts from ICSC.
- Attendees are encouraged to bring a strong sock game to Trade Show floor:
- Escalator hand rail advertising? Yep, in Vegas.
- Dancing robots? Yep, also in Vegas.
- Did you count how many steps you took at RECon 2016?
- Let’s wrap up ICSC 2016 with some relaxing flip flops, courtesy of Phillips Edison & Co.
Tags: cbre, colliers, cushman wakefield, development, Douglas Elliman, icsc, investing, jll, las vegas, leasing, lee & associates, Magic Johnson, marcus & millichap, Matthews Real Estate Investment Services, Phillips Edison & Co., RECon 2016, retail, Rouse, Simon, Taubman