June 29, 2020
The NHP Foundation (NHPF) has achieved Enterprise Green Communities certification for its $54.3-million renovation of the Mark Twain. The historic property at 111 W. Division St. is among the largest remaining single-room occupancy affordable housing developments on Chicago’s Near North Side.
Enterprise Green Communities is reportedly the country’s only national green building certification program designed explicitly for the affordable housing sector.
Along with meeting all mandatory program criteria, the project achieved the points required for certification by:
• Being a compact development (with three times the density of the census block in which the project is located)
• Developing in proximity to critical resources for healthy living and access to opportunity including access to public transportation
• Increasing accessibility to fresh local food
• Offering Universal Design, with 20% of the units designed to meet ICC/ANSI A117.1 Type A requirements
• Reducing energy usage with Home Energy Rating System (HERS) Index Scores lower than required.
For comments, questions or concerns, please contact Paul Bubny