May 31, 2017
The CRE industry continues with robust activity in major markets nationwide, and many companies are seeking top talent to meet the demand. The opportunity for you – a candidate, a job seeker, a CRE pro – is now. In this edition of The Hiring Squad, Jana Turner, principal at RETS Associates, lists the top five tips for how to find your dream job.
1. Button up your resume and LinkedIn profile: Update, refresh and add recent successes to your resume and LinkedIn profiles, but be sure to demonstrate broad experience to not pigeonhole yourself. These two tools are different, but should work together.
Update your LinkedIn photo with a recent professional headshot, and be ready for whoever might be looking for you. An incomplete profile says you don’t care – and if you don’t, why should anyone else?
2. Clean up your social media profiles: Be sure you’re putting your best “brand” out into the public realm. Companies look at your social media profiles, and often take it as the first impression.
Align your outward persona in your photos and posts with the conservative, trusted and formal nature of the industry.
3. Interested in a company? Find a connection: Research the leadership team within the company to find a commonality that could act as a conversation starter (e.g., a hometown or an alma mater).
A second line of offense is to find a mutual connection between the two of you, and ask for an introduction. If you never ask, you’ll never know.
4. Network…and keep in touch: It’s important to attend industry events, learn and share knowledge, and build relationships. By positioning yourself as a familiar face, you open the door to many more opportunities.
Connect with each person professionally, and keep in touch – you never know if and when that person may be your golden ticket to your next opportunity.
5. Be committed to leave: Don’t just window shop; if you’re looking to make a move, you must be committed to “buy” that new job.
Shopping around without making a commitment will burn bridges with colleagues inside and outside of your current organization.
Tags: the hiring squad