January 20, 2017
TheBrokerList and Buildout partnered together to survey the makeup of the commercial real estate industry, by examining what matters most to CRE brokers, how they spend their time, and what they focused on most in 2016. With 289 respondents, the full results are displayed in a fun infographic at the jump below.
Some interesting findings (comparing 2015 to 2016) are:
- More office buildings were sold in 2016 than in 2015
- More brokers sold multifamily residential properties in 2016 than 2015
- Sales of office locations and multifamily properties increased, while the sales of retail properties declined
- For the second year in a row, 71% of brokers name relationships as the number one driver of closing deals
- Personal reputation has become more of a concern since 2015
- 83% of deals are co-brokered
- Brokers made more money in 2016 – 76% of brokers surveyed made over $100,000.
- Speed to market and lack of quality video and photography decreased, as CRE technology has increased its impact
Marketing trends (comparing 2015 to 2016 percentages)
- Email marketing 18% to 68%
- Marketing software 10% to 40%
- Lead generation 6% to 16%