April 20, 2020
Even as he reiterated that Boston’s pause on non-essential construction remains in effect, Mayor Martin Walsh said new safety guidelines on “essential” construction sites could apply more broadly. Essential construction categories include healthcare and infrastructure work under the restrictions Walsh implemented last month.
“[The guidelines] will expand to include all sites when we deem it safe to restart construction in the City of Boston,” Walsh told the Boston Globe.
As part of the new guidelines, a coronavirus safety plan will be required as a condition of any building permit. The plans are due to the city on April 27.
In a video chat with members of the Greater Boston Chamber of Commerce recently, Boston said he envisioned a “slow ramp-up” of construction more generally, perhaps with workers spread onto multiple shifts for better distancing. He said the city soon would begin meeting with contractors to discuss how that might work.
For comments, questions or concerns, please contact Paul Bubny