May 25, 2017
If you plan to visit a beach this holiday weekend, you might consider checking out Dr. Beach’s list of the top 10 beaches in the U.S. The annual ranking has become somewhat of a definitive ranking, albeit a bit willy-nilly.
Compiled since 1991 by Dr. Stephen P. Leatherman, the list looks at 50 criteria such as sand, water quality, smell, safety, environmental stewardship and a buzz-worthy scene. Beaches even earn extra points for not allowing smoking.
Top 10 U.S. Beaches
- Siesta Beach, Sarasota, FL: Super soft sand, 99% pure crushed quartz
- Kapalua Bay Beach, Maui, HI: Small, crescent-shaped, rocky headlands lend a private feel, snorkelers love clear azure waters
- Ocracoke Lifeguarded Beach, Outer Banks NC: Big waves later in summer, families with younger children like wild beach earlier in year
- Grayton Beach State Park, FL: Turquoise blue waters and smooth, white sand
- Coopers Beach, Southampton, NY: Super wide beach backed by stunning sand dunes
- Coast Guard Beach, Cape Cod, MA: Colder water (60 to 70 degrees at warmest) feels great during hot summer months
- Caladesi Island State Park, Dunedin/Clearwater, FL: Private feel since only reachable by pedestrian ferry boat, private boats, or a long walk; crystalline quartz sand super soft; warm, emerald waters
- Hapuna Beach, Big Island, HI: Powerful winter waves; calm, clear water, great for summer snorkeling and swimming
- Coronado Beach, San Diego, CA: Stunning wide beach surrounded by unique, subtropical vegetation; favored by surfers and ship watchers
- Beachwalker Park, Kiawah Island, SC: Nature lovers, bird watchers, and paddle boarders flock to public park and calm seaside oasis
For comments, questions or concerns, please contact Dennis Kaiser